TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS
The Tournament of Champions will be a “dress-up” affair. A complimentary Appetizer and
dessert bar will be offered. A cash bar will be available.
SPECIAL EVENT – MASTIFF CLUB OF AMERICA 13th Annual Tournament of Champions Competition
Entry Fee: $30.00 per Dog ................................ Entries Close: Wednesday,
*Entry form on Page
Preliminary Judging: Wednesday, (time 30 minutes after sweeps)
Final Judging: Friday at 7:00PM
1st ROUND JUDGES
Dogs entered in the MCOA Tournament of Champions must be owned or co-owned by MCOA members/
associate members only. The tournament is open to AKC and/or CKC (Canadian Kennel Club.)
Champions of Record only by the closing date for entries. Dogs entered in this competition must be
eligible to compete in AKC Dog Shows. There shall be no neutered dogs or spayed bitches allowed
to compete in this competition. Judging shall be based on overall soundness, quality of movement
and type as defined in the breed standard. Ideally judges chosen for Tournament shall be a breeder, a
professional handler and an AKC or Provisional judge. Judging will be done in two rounds. The top ten
(10) qualifiers will be returned to the ring at a time and location to be designated by the annual show
chair. Judges for Round 2 will not be announced until the time of the Round 2 event. In the event of a last
minute judge change, entrants that may have a potential conflict of interest may request a refund of the
entry fee. The judge also has the right to refuse to examine a dog if they feel there is a conflict of interest.
Tournament Winner –
First Runner Up –
Second Runner Up –
Third Runner Up –
Fourth Runner Up –
TOURNAMENT CASH AWARDS
MCOA retains 50% of the entry fees to defray Specialty expenses. The remainder of the entry fees to be divided as follows:
Grand Award - 25% cash award
1st runner up - 10% cash award
2nd runner up - 7.5% cash award
3rd runner up - 5% cash award
4th runner up - 2.5% cash award
ROUND 1 (DAYTIME JUDGING) – LARGE SCORE SHEET TO BE USED.
1. All mastiffs enter the ring in numerical order and are checked in. Each dog will exit the ring.
2. The first set of three will come into the ring, one at a time and make an entire circle around the ring
and stop at station 1 after the first time around the ring.
3. The judges will be at three set stations in the ring for the hands on examination. The mastiffs will
move counter-clockwise until all three judges have examined all three dogs. Each round of judging
should be limited to three minutes a dog in total. Dogs will not be moved individually by a judge
during hands on examination.
4. Complete the score sheet after each individual exam. The Score sheet will be handed over to the
Tournament chairperson or designee.
5. When each dog in the trio has been examined by each judge, the dogs will be moved individually
on a diagonal down and back. Finally as a group they will be moved once around the ring and then
6. Final scoring of the group is completed, judges will review the score sheet to be sure all areas are
scored and hand them in.
7. The second group of three mastiffs enters the ring. This continues until all mastiffs have been
8. The score sheets will be tallied.
9. Please note: In the event of a tie score in the top ten qualifiers, the 15 top scoring mastiffs will be
brought back into the ring for the judges to review scores. The mastiffs with a tie will be denoted
with an asterisk. Scores sheets will be recalculated.
10. The top ten qualifying mastiff scores will be announced ringside after the day judging session.
11. The top ten qualifying mastiffs will return for the formal evening competition.
11. Owners/handler will be asked to provide a short bio of the dog to be read during the opening
ROUND 2 (EVENING SEMI-FORMAL JUDGING FOR FINAL TOP TEN – SMALL SCORE SHEET TO BE USED.
1. Evening competition is a semi-formal event for the exhibitor and judges.
2. The judges will not be present for the presentation of the top ten qualifiers.
3. The mastiffs will enter in armband order, not in top score order.
4. Each mastiff will enter individually and gait around the ring, with a free stack in the center of the
ring. The mastiff will make a final gait around the ring and then exit into the holding area.
5. The second mastiff enters, the process repeats until all have been presented.
Top 10 Evening Judging
1. Each mastiff will enter the ring individually, into the center of the ring and be examined and scored
by the three judges. Once hands on is complete, the mastiff will move diagonally, down and back,
then around the ring and out to the holding area
2. This process continues until all finalists’ are judged.
3. Please note: Should there be a tie in the top 5 qualifying scores, all ten of the mastiffs will be asked
to return to the ring for judges review of scores. An asterisk will be placed on the score sheets of
the tie scores for judges to review. There will be no hands on during this portion of judging.
4. Score Sheets are reviewed and handed in. Judges will be escorted back to their seats.
5. Each Mastiff will then enter the ring by armband number along with their owners and a short bio
will be read to the public about each dog.
6. The scores are tabulated and winners will be announced at the Awards Banquet as per policy.
7. Score sheets summaries for all dogs entered in round one and two will be available to exhibitor
entrants in a sealed envelope at the Awards Banquet. Qualifying scores will be reflected on the sheet
so the owner/exhibitor can review.